Its that time of year again.
In 2012 I will:
- Work on personal game project and attempt to solve issues highlighted in previous blog post Unsolved Problems.
- Release a project into the open source world.
- Participate in the Global Game Jam
- Do more research into Computer Graphics Effects (Shadows, Post-Processing Effects, Shaders etc.) – I recently bought 3D Graphics with XNA Studio 4.0 (Kindle Edition) So I will probably work my way through that book.
- Do more research into implementing particular data structures and algorithms. Especially with respect to thread safety (The future is multithreaded after all). In the past I haven’t implemented algorithms purely for the sake of it – But reading about Code Katas and recently implementing a quadtree has demonstrated that independent practice can have huge benefits. Next on the list of implementations to do – BSP Tree, Bloom Filter, OctTree and any others that I think of along the way.
- Learn F# – I’ve been meaning to learn a functional programming language for a while, and because F# integrates with the rest of dot net I can learn F# and still get things done. See Real World Functional Programming
That’s quite a lot of stuff to work on over the next year and that is only programming and game programming related goals – No mention of personal, professional or financial goals on that list (which I will keep private for now.) I’m not sure how much of the above I will get through but it’s more than enough to get the ball rolling.
Also notice only two goals relate to shipping something – The Global Game Jam, and the Open Source Project. It’s going to be more of a momentum building year than anything else.